Johnson & Scholes Cultural Web
This is really useful tool to help you find congruence between your business values and the way it behaves.
Gerry Johnson and Kevan Scholes depicted the culture of a business using a web of six elements that affect internal behaviour. The 7th Element which they call the Paradigm sits at the centre. The Paradigm is the sum of the six elements; the imbedded assumptions about the business which are taken for granted and shared by everyone.
Feel free to request the templates email@example.com. I’m happy to share.
1. Consider all six aspects of culture in relation to your business
2. Determine what cultural paradigm your business operating in? Is the business dictating the strategy rather than the management leading it based on its business values?
3. Consider what rituals are beginning to embed unconsciously? Are they good for the business or might they come back to bite you at a later date
4. When you have plotted how your culture is working for or against growth, explore what needs to continue and what needs to change if anything
5. Review how you manage the key stakeholders in the culture change
Please share your experiences with this model in the comments below. I am building a portfolio of small business case studies and would love to include examples of what has worked well for you.
PS – If you need further help then give me a call on 07962 626604 to arrange a Skype session with me.
PPS – This exercise forms part of a series of workshops on Company Culture