Harding’s Portal Projects
Big ticket sales or clients with a high lifetime value will often have a long lead time before purchase. More so if you are a new player in the market place, as you won’t have built a trusted reputation. Ford Harding in his book Cross Selling for Success introduces the portal project, a small low-cost and stand alone service that gets you in the door to sort out a specific issue. Once you are inside you look out for opportunities to continue to build your network.
Feel free to request the templates firstname.lastname@example.org. I am happy to share.
1. Recognise what makes a Portal Project attractive.
2. Plot where you have products or services that could act as a portal project
3. Brainstorm other opportunities to create a Portal Project
4. Work out what your customer life time value is
5. Assess whether the cost of the Portal Project is a good return on marketing investment
Please do share your experiences with these models in the comments below. I am building a portfolio of small business case studies and would love to include examples of what has worked well for you.
PS – If you need further help then give me a call on 07962 626604 to arrange a Skype session with me.