Morgan’s Culture Metaphors
Having previously posted a video about Schein’s 3 Levels of Culture, in this video I am focusing on recognising the underlying culture in your business. This is important especially if you want to make a change in direction or wish to build your business rapidly. There are many cultural models to consider but in this video we will look at how you might use Gareth Morgan’s 8 cultural metaphors to elicit a discussion around what your people really think about how your company ticks.
Watch the video for background information and feel free to request the templates email@example.com. I am happy to share.
1. Recognise the descriptions of the 8 metaphors
2. Invite a focus group of employees together to discuss organisational culture
3. Explain the Morgan’s 8 Metaphors to the focus group (you may find an external facilitator beneficial)
4. Ask the group to rate on a scale of 1 – 5 with 5 being high, how they see the organisation based on each of the 8 metaphors (observe the discussions for deeper insights)
5. Alternatively, if your business is artistically inclined you can suggest the focus group members create and describe their own metaphors
Please do share your experiences with these models in the comments below. I am building a portfolio of small business case studies and would love to include examples of what has worked well for you.
PS – If you need further help then give me a call on 07962 626604 to arrange a Skype session with me.