The Five Words to Never Use in an Ad
In his fascinating article Steve Mckee describes how the following five words Quality, Value, Service, Caring and Integrity should never be used in an advertisement about your business and why. www.businessweek.com/smallbiz/content/jun2006/sb20060607_197154.htm
This reminded me of a small group coaching session by Jennie Bayliss of Red Dandelion http://www.reddandelion.co.uk/ She asked us to visualise our business as a vehicle. As she went round the room asking for feedback; the answers were all the same (brand name excepting). The vehicles were all top of the range, quality motors. Why? Because they were top notch quality yet good value for money, great service, with excellent after sales care etc etc you get the picture? There was one exception. This delegate described her vehicle as a bus.
Woah! Attention grabbing moment!
“My business is one that people can get on and off at whatever point in their business development journey they like. Every bus has a destination; the one that I am driving might not be going in the direction you want to be heading in right now. So like any good bus driver, I can tell you the number of the bus that you do want to take.
The great thing about my bus is that it is on one of the most popular routes. So there are plenty of like minded business people taking the journey together with me. However, if you do get on my bus by mistake you can quite easily jump off at the first stop and get on another which is heading to a more appropriate direction.”
The message is clear; when you are promoting your business, think about the words you are using, as the ones you do use need to differentiate you from the crowd.
What messages is this lady giving about her business?
And finally, I just had to find something appropriate and here it is from you tube for this week! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeeOPR8bxac
Published by TheHiddenEdge
I love words - they can say so much and say so little depending on how you use them. Come and explore them with me in this learning journal. View all posts by TheHiddenEdge
- While you don’t know what struggles other people might be facing, you do have the power to bring others hope—if onl… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- Thanks to a member for passing this on.. it flags up the importance of practice to improve your public speaking ski… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 4 days ago
- RT @1418NOW: The names of the faces that will be drawn as large-scale sand portraits for Danny Boyle’s #PagesoftheSea have been revealed.… 5 days ago
- Commemorating Remembrance Day from 12.30 in #Weymouth with #DannyBoyle's #PagesoftheSea with a guest appearance fro… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 5 days ago
- Another great meeting with plenty of awards and achievements. Ann Richardson achieved her level 1 Presentation Mast… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 6 days ago